Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dining Table Re-do for My Son

I have been busy running around with my twenty one year old son, who is getting ready to move into an unfurnished campus apartment at the University he is attending. He has lived at home during his first three years of college, other than living in a dorm for two semesters. I am happy for him but I am also SAD, but I don’t let him see.  Anyway, other than bedroom furniture, neither my son nor his roommates have any furniture to speak of. I figured that a dining table was one of the more important items to address so I pulled out an old oak pedestal table that was my husbands when he was single. I think I have seen a gazillion of this same table on blog posts. The finish was a yellowing Oak and in pretty poor condition. I forgot to get a good "before" picture but below is one I took after I primed the top... you can see the original finish on the pedestal base.
So I cleaned, sanded and primed and then painted it black. To add a little interest I wiped on some metallic paint (Faux Effects MetalGlow in Toasted Coconut) on the pedestal base and legs.

Because the accenting seemed a little too THERE, I went over those areas with some dull black paint and wiped/blended to bury some of the metallic. (Below shows the dull black paint just applied, and then after blending).

I decided to add metallic paint along the bottom edge of the apron, see below. I was tempted to add some metallic along the top perimeter but decided to edit myself. Here is the table:


...plus chairs.
.
The table seemed too small for young men. I remembered we had a leaf to the table, which took me 40 minutes to find... good thing young ears were no where to be found.  Below is a picture of the expanded table.  I like the size and shape, so did my son.

...plus some upholstered end chairs.

Finally, I topcoated with 3 coats of polyurethane. My son is not sure if he likes the upholstered chairs… now that I take a step back I understand that they are probably not the taste of most twenty one year old boys. I seriously don't know what I was thinking. I'll need to get more simple end chairs.

Also linking to:
The Shabby Nest         My Romantic Home     Blue Cricket Designs
Chic on a Shoestring     Funky Junk Interiors
Life in the Fun Lane

giveawaysFurniture Feature Fridays






 

24 comments:

  1. Tres Chic, Lori!! They'll have the suavest bachelor pad ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, Lori, this dining set should impress the ladies... even if they serve mac & cheese or ramen!! : ) Lucky guys! most bachelor pads consist of card tables & folding chairs! I'd use it in my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. Love the black. I recognized those Hooker chairs in one of the pics. That is nice furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That table is truly fantastic. I really like the metallic accents.
    I thought of you yesterday while I was at Michael's buying the metallic paint you used on that white dresser so I can copy you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,
    And you said I was a good Mom, that's a lot of work, I'm sure your son loves it.I feel for you with him moving away from home. I had a lot of sleepless nights when my daughters moved to college, the youngest I bribed to move back home (30 minutes from college) I kept her room clean and did all her laundry.

    Your table looks awesome, I love it! You have a talent that's for sure, it is totally transformed, wish I had the nerve to do that to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh this is SO pretty! good job!

    thanks for the comment. your site is so cute, glad we got to see it! we're also your newest followers.

    have a fab wknd! :)kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, that table turned out great! What a nice mom you are!!! :) You have tons of great projects on here .... and they're all so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a nice Mom you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I would have had that set in college! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out wonderful! I can't believe it's going to a college apartment... I hope they take good care of it! ;)

    Thanks for linking Flaunt it Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. You did a fabulous job. It looks wonderful. Love the chairs. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Job well done Lori, I look forward to seeing your next projects. Perhaps I can pick up an idea or two.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really nice job on the table and chairs. These boys would be wise to show their appreciation. I would be thinking "yeah, no more yard work for me."

    ReplyDelete
  14. The table turned out great! Love the new look of the base. I'm sure your son with get a lot of good use out of the table. Good thing you added 3 coats of poly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I'm thinking the three coats of poly MIGHT last a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey nice Work I like it …. Thaks for sharing
    plastic tables

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks fantastic...love the metallic accents. Your son is a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks way to nice for young college guys - I'm just sayin' :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ummmm...I totally love you and am so excited about all your suggestions! Lovin your feedback and cannot wait to give it a shot :)! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lori, I am sure that this table will be the center of his life while at school. Pizza parties, poker games, folding laundry, study time...maybe a little nookie....Scratch that last one! lets stick to study time! Great Job! once again I am at Awe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is SO MUCH nicer than MY table! :) Did you use a brush to paint it or a roller? It looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lindsey, for the most part (flat areas), I used a foam roller. Thanks for the nice compliment.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete