Monday, August 2, 2010

The Kitchen Backsplash

When we were building our home, one of the choices that I had the most difficulty making was picking out a kitchen backsplash. I just wasn't sure what I wanted or material and design I wanted to commit to.... here are some "before" pics of the kitchen backsplash area.



The backsplash dilemma was so difficult for me that in retrospect, I probably should have consulted an interior decorator. But I didn’t... and for a few weeks I looked at numerous magazines, model homes and tile shops. It got to the point that I only had a few days before I had to make the decision because the tile guys had to get to their next job. Forced to choose, I knew I have always liked natural stone and decided to go with a simple 4x4 tumbled travertine. I then saw a cast metal product at a tile showroom and went with it in an oil rubbed bronze finish, specifically a 16" x 24" tile mural and a 4" x 12" listello liner. There was also a gorgeous oil rubbed nickel option… but I went with the bronze because of the color of travertine I went with. Here are is the backsplash tiled, without grout.

 


This is the backsplash after grouting. I kind of  wish I had gone with a darker grout.


Here is a close-up of the mural and listello liner simple, but still interesting) .


I also decided to bring the tumbled travertine up the arched window niche above one of my sinks.



I played it "safe," but I like it.  I still need to get accessories, switch out the white electrical plates for something that blends better with the stone and paint the arched window casing to match the stone or maybe do an oil rubbed bronze look or some darker color. I also need to get different island stools.  The ones I am using are from my old house and are about 4 inches too short for the height of the island' partly because there is an extra thickness of granite due to the edge detail I chose. Ideally, would love to have some nice upholstered stools. You can see the shortcoming of the stools in the following picture ....yikes! 


 
Linking to Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On the Porch and Spotlight Yourself @ It's So Very Cheri.





13 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is stunning and I love your tile choice. It is beautiful. I think you made wise and lovely choices. It's wonderful around the window arch. Wow, a dream kitchen for sure. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Your kitchen belongs in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is beautiful. I think you made excellent choices. Next time turn the hanging lights on to get more light plus I would love to see them on. I would love to see larger photos to so we can take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that your home belongs in a magazine, it is GOR-GEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Lori, It does look like an interior designer designed your kitchen. Everything you chose is fabulous. Do your cabinets go all the way to the ceiling? Love all your color choices and your chandeliers not your everyday pendent lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, your kitchen is amazing! I love it! You do not need an interior decorator! you are a decorator!! I love looking at kitchens. I buy kitchen magazines all the time. One of my passions!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen is beautiful and you made great choices in the backsplash tiles. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your kitchen is beautiful! I adore everything about it! The tile you chose and the application you used is amazing! Really gorgeous!

    Thanks so much for your sweet visit earlier! I love hearing from you!

    Enjoy!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just stunning! What an awesome kitchen. Great job with your difficult choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a wonderful job with the kitchen. It is really beautiful - lovin' what you did on the backsplash.
    I am getting ready to do something new to mine and I am having a terrible time deciding. It's so PERMANENT!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme...I stumbled upon your blog and love it! Your home is beautiful! I look forward to reading your blog and seeing more beautiful spaces in your home! Stop in sometime for a visit! Meme

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen is beautiful. What I might suggest as you go through this process, is to consult an interior designer. Little things, like the outlets, could have been placed under the countertops...that kind of thing. I did that when I designed a kitchen for a corporation (I am a home stager and professinal organizer.)

    Also, your dining room is beautiful but there is a lot of scroll or curves in it, from the chair backs, to the chandeliers, etc. and your eyes need a place to rest. Either keep the chandelier and sconces and replace the chairs or go with a simpler fixture. That kind of thing.

    There is a blogger named Kristin at Boulevard Interior Design blog-she has free advice Fridays and can give advice plus she also has reasonable plans where you can give her room dimensions and she can give you options. You can visit her blog and check out her porfolio. What I like about her designs is her use of color-she really pulls it through a space and it's stunning. I also think that it would help because she can give you some continuity between the rooms and the whole house will look more polished and put together.

    I think you make good choices. What an interior designer will do is make your life easier by giving you choices (all of which will look great) and then letting you choose. They'll also help you avoid the pitfalls and save you some money.

    ReplyDelete